How much does it cost to get in?

Adderton does not have an entry cost. Specific, ticketed workshops and events held at Adderton may have a fee attached.

Is Adderton available for hire for events?

No, Adderton is not available for hire. If you have an enquiry about providing a workshop compatible with Adderton’s mission please contact

Is the building heritage listed?

Yes, the All Hallows’ Convent in which Adderton: house & heart of mercy is located is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register (No. 600200). You can access this listing online (search for ‘Queensland Heritage Register’).

What was changed in the recent building refurbishment?

The refurbishment, by Wilson Architects, has brought the building up to modern access standards and upgraded the amenities. The building is now air-conditioned throughout. The courtyard at the rear of the building has been transformed into a shaded seating and relaxation space, which is also ideal for gatherings and performances.

While the building has a fresh look and feel, the treasured heritage features all remain and are being carefully conserved for future generations.


Has it always been called Adderton?

No, Adderton is the name of the original heritage building on the site, which was a house built in 1858 for Queensland medical doctor and parliamentarian George Fullerton. It is named after his wife, Julia Adderton Moffatt.

In 1863 the house was purchased for the Sisters of Mercy recently arrived from Dublin, Ireland.

Adderton was then renamed the Convent of Our Lady of Mercy, All Hallows’ (All Hallows’ Convent).

All Hallows’ Convent is the mother house of the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation. It was home to the Sisters until 2007 when it became the Mercy Heritage Centre.

It has been a school, Sisters’ residence and until 2014 the Mercy Heritage Centre. Adderton: house & heart of mercy opened to the public in late August 2019 with a revitalised vision.

Who was Adderton

Adderton is named after Julia Adderton Moffatt, who was the wife of George Fullerton. Julia and George were the first owners of the house (named Adderton), which became the All Hallows’ Convent. Adderton was also the name of Julia’s family home in Sydney.

Who are the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane?

The Sisters of Mercy are a group of Catholic women religious, who draw inspiration from Catherine McAuley who founded the Sisters of Mercy in Ireland in 1831.  Catherine recognised and responded to the needs of those who were marginalised and oppressed by the unjust social attitudes and practices of the day.

For more information about other Congregations of the Sisters of Mercy, visit

Are there still Sisters of Mercy in Brisbane and Australia?

Yes, there are four congregations of Sisters of Mercy in Australia. The Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation, The Sisters of Mercy Parramatta Congregation, The Sisters of Mercy North Sydney Congregation and the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy Australia and Papua New Guinea.

Are they still active within the community?

Many  Sisters have retired from full-time ministry, however  remain very active and supportive members of their local communities.

How long did the Sisters live at the All Hallows’ Convent?

From 1863 to 2007. There are now no Sisters living on site.

Is Adderton part of All Hallows’  School today?

No, All Hallows’ School was established by the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane in 1861, when they first arrived in Brisbane and was originally located in the Convent.

The Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation transferred governance of All Hallows’ School to Mercy Partners in April 2013.

Adderton: house & heart of mercy is an initiative of the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation, situated in the All Hallows’ Convent building.